Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Declare this to be a SUNDRESS SUMMER!

I declare this to be a SUNDRESS SUMMER!
Nothing but sundresses in this South Florida heat. Flowing around my knees with the breeze blowing across my thighs. Swaying around me as I casually walk in my flip flops, toes painted bright red, no wait, purple. It’s a purple-toe summer for me this year. Hair flying free in the breeze, whipping my face with sharp strands. So tired of being constrained in clothes that stick to me, confining me to conform to their shapes. No, this summer is the free flow of sundress, spaghetti straps, no, even better, angel hair skinny straps across my shoulders down my back. My stride is a swaying dance, stepping to a beat in my head, pounding me like the heat waves rising from the pavement, urging me to hurry. But I don’t. I relish in the outdoor oven, sweat droplets running down my chest, sunglasses like night vision goggles, enabling me to endure the glare. I smell sweet magnolias and the ocean breeze, luring me to hop-skip the lava sand and rush to the cooling waters of mother ocean. I stand there, gazing at my purple toes, watching the hem of my sundress absorb the salt water as it swirls around my legs. I look up as a sea gull flies overhead, screeching at me, as if to say, “God Save the Summer Sundress!”

No comments: